June 23, 2011

Exercising in DC

Without homework, without my boyfriend or my kitties, without much to do, really, I've been devoting much of my time to dance classes, kettlebell/TRX (weight training) classes, and other exercise regimens. This, in addition to all the walking that DC demands, means that I am constantly in a state of soreness. It's the good kind: the kind that says "body, thank you for your ability to re-form itself."
Usually when I carry heavy loads, I let my bones do all the work. Today, however, when I walked home with 2 full bags of groceries, I felt my rhomboids and other muscles in my shoulders and back in a major way. It made me think of my friend Rebeckah Berry's beautiful back.
I'm super wimpy in my upper body, so it's kinda neat to feel whispers of strength.

(Incidentally, one really cool thing is that when I googled Rebeckah to put a picture of her here, this image was the first that came up, and it was from an article written in 2006 by Abbie Beane, one of my current classmates at MIIS. Small world.)

No comments: