May 30, 2010

Elephant Revival & Taarka

I went to a great show last weekend at the Fox, with Taarka and Elephant Revival headlining, the latter for a CD release. The former bills their genre as "indie-gypsy chamber folk," and I can see how that sort of makes sense, but basically I would say both groups are heavily bluegrass (or "newgrass") + celtic style bands like Solas. Semantics aside, I really enjoyed the show. One of the singers from the Elephant Revival has a lovely voice similar to Dido's, but she uses it in a much more organic way, with fewer voice breaks. This way you enjoy the heartiness of her voice and aren't annoyed at all. She also plays the washboard. The violinist is passionate and fluent. All the members sing and write. I bought their EP, and would recommend their CDs.

Taarka


(I tried several times to upload 3 other videos, to no avail. Sorry!)

No comments: