January 12, 2006

Major Drats

Several months ago I was invited to audition for the Bellydance Superstars, the internationally touring amaziac troupe of ladies with whom Rachel Brice and my friend Sharon Kihara amongst others have been performing/travelling (directed/managed by Miles Copeland, the manager of Sting and the Police amongst others). WHOA! I was very surprised/flattered at the invitation and extraordinarily excited to see what would come of it. I practiced all break to get myself back up to speed in isolations and danceness. But my damned schooling gets in the way of everything--don't know why I didn't expect it to in the first place. Scheduling changes put exams on all three audition dates. After inquiring about the unlikely possibility of a private audition when they visit Boston in a few months and describing my situation, the woman in charge of auditions did all she could do for me, which was to ask Miles. Very sweetly, I received an "unfortunately not" email from Miles, and I understand. Likewise, rescheduling my exams is not possible (or desirable--just piles 'em up more later). So I am having to make peace with the fact that I tried.

I tried.
Without having something to look forward to, motivation is not quite forthright at school. But I am trying. And at least THAT is still present-tense.

No comments: