July 6, 2005

Enfermada

Sick today and yesterday in the bush, but came back to siuna for rest. maybe dengue fever, but there´s nothing you can do for that and it doesn´t test positive for 3 days, so i won´t be able to check since i return to Hormiguerro (where i´m stationed out of for my work) tomorrow morning. flulike symptoms which means anything. fever doesn´t want to go away despite ibuprofen, which sucks because it´s hot enough here without a fever and a headache. But I worked through the sickness yesterday--we rode from hormiguerro to Agua Sucia (dirty water) on horses-a 2 hour path through fresh slash-and-burn agriculture mixed with jungle. the path is pure mud that often goes up to your knees and sometimes to your waist: hence the horses. My work is going well. I hesitated before working on the first cow, teaching the guys with me how to use the GPS, but when it came down to it I wasn´t nervous and the procedure was easier than i´d made it out to be in my mind. I like this work very much, and seeing how people live here is quite something. I just wrote a 20 minute entry that was erased so i´m going to send this now before another is erased. lots more to say though!

No comments: