I was afraid that the steel wool would scratch the chrome, but it actually did really well. Here is the exact same spot on the breadbox as the picture above.
Then I had to make a hole in the back for the plug of the powerstrip to go through. This was the toughest part. I bought a special 1 1/2" drill bit, but couldn't get it to stay in one place, so I ended up tracing the drill bit and going around the circle with a tiny drill bit, one hole at a time.
At this point I hoped the large drill bit would have something for the teeth to grab on to, but it didn't. So I just continued making holes.
Once I got it started, I was able to use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the circle away from the breadbox.
And for the final touch I used these very cool twisty ties to keep all the cords tidy.