July 19, 2012

Healing Sliced Finger

WARNING:  images are graphic.  No running blood, but you've been warned.








One week ago, I sliced my finger pretty bad.  The knife went straight through my fingernail and deep into my finger pad.  Immediately I grabbed it tight, didn't want to look, decided I needed to rinse it, rinsed it and realized that I had a pretty intense flap.  I wrapped it tightly in a bandaid and didn't want to look at it closely again because the thought of it made my stomach turn.  Ouch!  I woke up a couple times in the middle of the night, throbbing with pain...and called Dad in the morning to see if I should do anything more than what I'd already done.  He said, "The reason you heal is because you're healthy.  Don't put any poultices on it or anything, and as long as you can keep it from getting caught on anything or adding trauma to it, leaving it free of bandages and open to the air is probably the best thing for it."  So I took off the band-aid, and realized that it hadn't cut quite as much of my nail off as I thought it had.  Phew.
So for past week (excepting Day 1, when it was in bandages), I've kept a record of the open-air healing process. Please ignore my chipped gold fingernail polish.  Healing is neat!

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6: Nail fell off like a loose tooth.

Day 7: Itchy dead skin was peel-away-able for much more comfort.
Now my fingernail just has a strange shape but it's perfectly fine otherwise. 

No comments: