March 25, 2011

Quiche

One of my classmates lives near a happy chicken farm (free range, vegetarian/organically-fed). She brings me eggs at wholesale price. For grad students, this is a major SCORE! Totally awesome protein for cheap! I share the wealth with other students (I doled out 23 dozen one record-breaking week recently). But last week I ended up with some extra. So I made 4 quiches. Yummy and simple.

Preheat oven

Fry finely chopped broccoli, onion, & garlic in butter.

Separate 4 egg whites and beat till frothy.

add a dollop of milk to the yolks, add salt, pepper, nutmeg, paprika, oregano, mix well, and then add this to the frothy egg whites, and mix it all together.

Sprinkle shredded cheese at the bottom of your pie crust, spread the broccoli mixture on top, pour the egg mixture over that, and finish with another sprinkling of cheese.

Bake 45 mins at 375 degrees.

Delicious, nutritious and a sure win with friends and family.


Extra yumminess factor: a dollop of tarragon pesto on top! (make pesto with tarragon instead of basil: tarragon, pine nuts, olive oil, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper)

No comments: