March 21, 2011

Dúlamán/Seaweed



Also on my break, I'm reading lots about IMTA (Integrated Multi-Trophic Aquaculture). That means raising finfish, shellfish and seaweed together in order to maximize ecological benefits (they feed and clean up after each other) while diversifying the farmer's 'portfolio'.
All the genus and species names of seaweeds reminded me of one of my favorite songs by Altan, Dúlamán, which means "Seaweed". It's an old Gaelic song that I learned when I was in my teach-myself-Gaelic phase. Seaweed was such an important part of the lives of those by the shore (fuel and food). Here's the version I was familiar with:

and one I was not familiar with by Clannad, but which is equally as lovely, and quite different in rhythm & tune.

And this "mouth music" (acapella) version by the Ferny Boy's Choir:

No comments: