April 28, 2010

Explorer



I've always wanted to be an explorer, someone who discovered things, an adventurer.

Wanting to be an oceanographer or a journalist or an international vet have been some visions of mine of how I might accomplish that in this day and age. Treasure Island has long been one of my favorite movies/stories. A boy who leaves all he knows behind and joins the adults to find something unknown, and treasured; and is crucial in their success. (Plus sailing!) I loved watching the Muppet Babies as a kid because their imagination turned cardboard boxes in the nursery into river rafts down the Amazon. Every international trip I've taken has seemed like practice for when I become What It Is I Am Meant To Be.

Yesterday, as I was walking in Chataqua Park with Phoenix and Buddy, I had an epiphany. I have been an explorer all along! I spend my life discovering things and sharing things with those I'm around. The things I find may not be new to the world, but they're new to my world, new to some people I share them with. I keep a bright eye open for beauty when I'm walking in the neighborhood or in the woods. I was a DJ for WRFL 88.1FM in college; I was exploring all sorts of music and sharing my discoveries. I blog to share my daily experiences which are also a discovery of a sort. I am here in Boulder, doing something I never thought I would do--making sandwiches and watching a baby. This is an adventure for me. I am headed to Guatemala in little over a month and I don't know what I'll find. I am exploring my world, I am taking it in. I take things in stride, I accept the way things are because an explorer, a discoverer is someone who observes and makes notes. If I protest or complain, I might change what IS.

It's kinda cool to realize that I am something that I've always wanted to be.

No comments: