June 2, 2010

See you later, compy!

I'm headed to Guatemala via Belize tomorrow. Leaving the computer and phone behind. I am bringing my camera and a sd card to USB converter so I'll be able to update my posts with pictures from internet cafes down there. But basically it'll just be me and my journal for six weeks!

Boulder is beautiful right now, I'm sad to be leaving it right when it's SO green and lovely,


and I will miss my nieces (Tiger even loves me now,

and Phoenix is so frickin' cute. Little nugget.)


and Chelsea and Vinny. I've made some good friends at Snarfs, I've enjoyed hanging out with old friends a bit,

and had a great visit with Dad in town this past week.

But mostly, I am overjoyed to be moving on to the next phase, one step closer to being with Ben and the kitties again, one step closer to my new school and our new life in California.
This episode's purpose is to (re)learn as much Spanish as possible. I'll be doing 5 weeks of immersive intensive study. 5 days/wk; 4-5 hrs/day; Quetzaltenango (aka Xela "shayla") for 3 weeks, then 2 weeks on a coffee plantation.
Because of Volcan Pacaya's recent eruption and the sinkhole/hurricanes, Guatemala City is in a state of emergency and my flight (scheduled for right now, actually) was cancelled. So I opted to fly into Belize City instead. I'm entering the country of Guatemala through the backdoor (Belize). Belize City is closer to Tikal, the Mayan ruins I wanted to visit before my program starts, anyway. So it's all good. I just have a long stint of traveling ahead of me. Planes for >24 hrs (dang layovers), then 6 hrs of bussing.

I'll let you know how it goes soon!

No comments: