August 14, 2008

Exploring My Options

I've felt strangely at peace this week. More rested, more satisfied, more like I have breathing room, than I have in .... I don't know, years. I've had breaks during vet school, but just the knowledge that I'd have to return was pretty stressful in and of itself. It's nice to be settled here with Ben, to make our dinners, to work on cleaning our house together, to enjoy seeing a kitten grow together. I have a little routine now with work and dance, and I feel like I'm closing in on An Answer (Re: what to do after being dismissed). I don't know what that Answer will look like yet, but I'm whittling down the options one by one. Talking to all the right people, throwing ideas around, keeping a good handle on planning meetings and various new avenue discussions. Massage school is out, but maybe teaching there? I'm in the midst of looking into a masters degree program--it feels really lowly to me after having been in professional school (To complete a masters degree you must often undertake a total of 36 credit hours. I took 33 credit hours in one semester alone at vet school.), and I haven't found the right match for me yet, but I'm not closing the option off, and that makes me feel productive, and on the right track. Meanwhile, I've been invited to dance at Shadowdance, a show with an amazing line-up out in Oakland CA in November (just after a week intensive seminar with Mira, and visiting Tiffanie), I'm putting together a weekend of workshops with Mira and myself up in Boston in October, and I've been practicing lots with Rakadu for our Woodland Arts Festival performance this Sunday (12:15-1:15--come if you can!). All the dance and dance work makes me very very happy. I made some jewelry and costumes this week, too--projects that I've had on the back burner for several years! Aaaaahhhhhhhh....





1 comment:

Unknown said...

I may be acting a little defensively, but a master's program is not more "lowly" than a professional program--they are completely different. To me a professional program seems like cram school. Others force feeding you facts. With a masters you head to the books to explore a single phenomenon--deeply. It is just as time consuming, but in a different way. You're juggling classes with teaching and research. I'm sitting at my desk here at school and it is a Saturday morning, but it's the only time I can carve out to work on MY project. I'm asking questions, designing experiments, reading more about philopatry in bears than I ever thought I would. It's totally different than vet school. But certainly not "lowlier". I think if you found a question that hooked you, it could be quite rewarding. And while I know it's not on your radar, let's not diss it so wholeheartedly. Kay? :)